Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tea hard candy.

I recently decided to try my hand at making hard candies. I looked up several recipes and decided to make my own recipe based off one I found. The main variation is the flavor I chose was my favorite tea flavor. Tazo's Refresh tea is by far my favorite tea. I am caffiene intolerent and the combination of mints and tarragon is amazing. So I made my first batch this flavor tomorrow however my husband will get his favorite blackberry and black tea! The wonderful thing is that you can make this candy any flavor. Don't like tea swap out juice or water with your favorite extract in it. Give it a try!

Here's what you'll need.

A large pot
A cookied sheet lined with parchment papaer
3 3/4 c sugar 
1 1/4 c light corn syrup 
1 c strongly brewed tea (I put 2 tea bags in with a cup and a half of water to allow for evaporation and boiled for about 3 min.)
powdered sugar

Directions

Sprinkle cookie sheet with powdered sugar and set aside. Combine sugar syrup and tea in a saucepan and continuously stir over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. Continue to cook without stirring until a candy thermometer reaches 290 degrees. (Between 34 and 45 minutes) Pour mixture onto prepared cookie sheet and allow to cool completely. Once completely cooled lay a clean towel over top of sheet and break candy into pieces by taping with a hammer. Sprinkle candy again with powdered sugar. This candy is addictive and delicious. My hubby and I like it because we can make any flavor! You can also add food coloring before pouring onto the cookie sheet if you choose! Good luck and happy candy making!

No comments:

Post a Comment